I am quarter Irish, and don't think much about ethnicity often. I like to be surrounded by lots of different cultures. However, I have these sudden moods for music that only Celtic music can quench. I feel like it's a calling, hence the title of this post.
I love all types of music, and can easily listen to rock, classical, jazz, etc. But there are days that some traditional harps and flutes just sound perfect. It creates such a magical sound. Literally, it's as if I was transported to some faraway land of fairies and runes. It's also a very nostalgic feeling. I used to Irish step dance, and listening to Celtic music reminds me so much of the steps and the stages. What I've discovered is that Irish step dancing (and probably all types of dance) is that it's like riding a bike. You never really forget. You might not know all the moves the rest of your life, but you will always have that emotion to want to get up and click your heels and dance when the music that reminds you of it begins to play.
Music is just so powerful. It's like a pebble in a pound, the ripples that form are all the different emotions that music can effect in a person. And for me Celtic music acts as a catalyst for my emotions of peace, nostalgia, happiness, and a sense of dance (which could just possibly be considered an emotion of sorts).
Thanks for reading. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment