One thing I think about a lot is the people we pass by in life. You know, the ones you're stuck in traffic next to, the people you share the sidewalk with, or the woman or man beside you in line at Starbucks. It's strange to think about how you are sharing that moment in life with them, and sometimes heading towards the same thing, or in line for similar reasons, but you will probably never get to know them, or even see them again. Well, you might be in the same area as them at another time, but recognition would be futile. It makes me wonder if we are all missing out by not greeting and chatting with the "randoms" in our lives. Or maybe it's better this way, minding your own business.
Seems like the only time a stranger breaks the barrier built upon their personal life is when they are attracted to someone. I wonder if the conversation would be more awkward if you just said hello, rather than a pick up line (and in some cases, compliments or casual talk about the weather are used). However, anyone enjoys hearing that someone thinks they are attractive, whereas a conversation in the style of "friends" talking may raise suspicion in someone. "Why is this person talking to me? Are they about to try to sell me something? Etc. Etc." It seems like people enjoy keeping their personal lives just that, personal. I know that I do.
Then again, if someone were to engage in a conversation with me, and we hadn't met before, I know that that would quite be an interesting experience. You would learn about someone else, the world, and probably even yourself.
So, the next time that line you are standing in looks as if it's going to last for days, say hello to your neighbors, and enjoy the step you've taken out of the ordinary.
No comments:
Post a Comment